Now he's back, and making preparations for a new book of a similar theme, but this time, the focus is on legendary metal icon Ronnie James Dio. He has asked for memories of the latter, and of course being a fan I jumped to the opportunity. Calling all RJD, Sabbath, Rainbow, Dio, and Elf fans worldwide, this is your chance to relive your memories of the legend, as all contributions will be included! It's going to be good to see another one of my written pieces in print! First a childish poem about Spring I wrote at school, then a eulogy about Lemmy, now one about Dio! I thought 2016 was going to be bad, but things are certainly looking up!
You can find a link to the book's page here: https://www.facebook.com/Ronnie-James-Dio-Memories-of-a-Rock-N-Roll-Icon-1253094674703996/?fref=nf
And now, without further a due, here is what I have written.
"I started listening to Dio when I was fifteen; the first
album I listened to was Rising, the one he did vocals for with Ritchie
Blackmore’s Rainbow, and the track was Stargazer. It was eight minutes of pure
hard rock pleasure, and something I would never forget for the rest of my life.
I knew I was going down to the record store to buy the record, even though at
the time they were really hard to get, and considered retro. But luckily I
managed to pick up a mint condition copy of it for just £8 – what a bargain
considering at the time it was nearly thirty nine years old!
My love affair with Dio didn’t stop there. I moved on from
Rainbow and onto the likes of Black Sabbath, which I’d become hooked on Mob Rules
and Heaven & Hell, I just didn’t know who the singer was, until I heard
Rainbow, and it clicked that it was the same powerful, gravelly voice that sang
the vocals on Long Live Rock n Roll. Neon Knights became my favourite track
alongside Holy Diver, which he did with his solo group, it’s what I, as an
eclectic music fan would say, a true heavy metal anthem. The video is packed
full of action, leaving you wondering what happens to him in the end.
Every fan that I have met through the internet or fan forums,
are the high envy of me, either because they have had the privilege of meeting
him or seeing him live, whether he was backed by Rainbow, Sabbath . The only
regret I have is that I wasn’t born in time to see him perform whilst he was
still alive, but like I always say, thank heavens for YouTube and Vimeo, many
fans have uploaded their precious memories of the legend, a true god of metal.
Ronnie James Dio will go down in the history books as one of
the pioneers of heavy metal and rock, no one can replace him, not even
Rainbow’s new frontman, Ronnie Romero. My goal is to visit his plaque on the
Hollywood Walk of Fame, as after all, he truly deserved it.
Horns up, Dio. May you rest in peace."

No comments:
Post a Comment