Monday, 28 March 2016

3 months without Lemmy :(

Today in the British calendar it's Easter Monday, but today for the heavy metal fans it's much more deeper and personal. On December 28th, 2015. legendary Motorhead frontman Ian 'Lemmy' Kilmister, met his grim demise after a very short battle with terminal brain and neck cancer. Tragically this happened two days after being diagnosed with the disease.

I couldn't really describe my emotions at the time, but one thing's for certain, I was truly in shock. I didn't believe my dad when he told me to check Facebook as there would be shocking news. I didn't expect it to be Lemmy. Often when there are bombshells like this being dropped it always tends to be someone in the family announcing their engagement or pregnancy. But his name was there, in black and white, on just about everybody's posts. I thought it was a hoax, it was all fake; after all Lemmy was defying all the odds and would apparently live forever! But when it was 'breaking news' on the BBC...things started to fall in to place all at once. He was gone, and nothing anyone could do could change it. I knew something was wrong deep down in my gut instinct but I didn't think it was that bad.

You can find a link to my Tumblr post from that night: http://black-rose-renegade.tumblr.com/post/136178767597/so-my-dad-came-in-this-morning-to-break-the

I bet I wasn't the only one who cried when watching his funeral weeks later. They sure gave him a jolly good send off.

R.I.P Lemmy. You will be missed by the entire heavy metal industry, the fans, and the people who loved you.

I'll leave you with a photo of his memorial in LA...and if you ask me, I think it fits the bill just nicely.





P.S. Big thanks to author Ian Carroll for printing my personal eulogy to Lemmy in his book 'Lemmy: Memories of a Rock n Roll Legend'. I will treasure it forever. Link to buy it and picture below. I'm Megan Taylor Ure...thank you for reading...peace out!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lemmy-Memories-Rock-Roll-Legend/dp/1530271754?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00


No comments:

Post a Comment