Hi
As most of you know a guy called Ian Carroll from the UK has written a book in tribute to the late Lemmy Kilmister of Motorhead. Over the last couple of weeks he’s been friending Motorhead fans on Facebook to get people to send in their thoughts and memories.
Here’s what I wrote for your delectation…I know it’s crap but what the hey…
Lemmy – well what can I say? Motorhead was one of the first heavy metal groups that I ever listened to, and looking back, I certainly have no regrets! When I first listened to Ace of Spades in Art in late 2013, I thought “Damn! They’re really good! I have to check out their entire catalogue!” I was totally hooked from that moment on. I had to have anything they had brought out, whether it was CD’s, tapes of old radio recordings, tshirts etc. The first thing Motorhead I bought was Ace of Spades on CD , and boy, I didn’t half play it to death. I needed another copy after a couple of months. But I didn’t stop there, I went on to get EVERYTHING, even a Snaggletooth pass case for my student cards. The only one regret I have is being born in the wrong generation. Being born at the end of the 1990s meant that I never got to see any of my idols live, including Motorhead themselves. Thank god for YouTube!
Lemmy became the highlight of all my conversations at school and at home, I drove my parents mad! I was completely and utterly obsessed! It went so far that even my pals used to call it me, but my theory is because of my obsession, nothing else. I hoarded all magazines that even just mentioned his name in the hope I could make a killing off of them some day. He was even the subject of my art exam!
I knew he hadn’t been well for a long time, but no one expected him to die suddenly. That morning when my dad told me to log on to Facebook as there was some shocking news. I was assuming it was a family member announcing their engagement or pregnancy, but it was Lemmy! Emotions? Speechless. At first I thought it was a hoax, like those that are flying round the internet, but when it came up as breaking news on BBC 1, my heart sank. Although I wasn’t related to this amazing, artistic, talented guy, I’d been listening to his music for just under two years and it became a part of my daily life. When he died, part of me died too.
I bet I wasn’t the only person who cried watching the live stream of his funeral that night…
I've yet to get the book myself, but I bet it will be good reading my own and other fans memories.
- Megan Taylor-Ure, 2016

No comments:
Post a Comment